Weekend - Week 11

31st October

My hospital stay

I woke up the next morning in Ninewells and felt so much better. I was sick a couple of times but after another injection that stopped. I was put on cyclizine, ondansetron and stemetil. I managed to drink and I managed to eat (very little but still more than I had the last week).

Litre after litre of fluid was put up attached to my hand. The feeling of depression had gone, even though I was in hospital (my worst nightmare) I was free from the sickness. It wasn't controlling my life anymore.

My urine and fluid intake, orally and IV, was closely monitored. I was desperate to go home but the doctor said I would be in at least another night. She explained that I was very close to losing my life, my body had begun shutting down and my blood had began clotting. She questioned me on how I managed to get in to the state I had, she questioned why no doctor had admitted me or put me on medication before now. Finally, someone understood. She stood in amazement as I told her about my trips to the doctors, how I was told it was ok and sent away each time with a sick line.

I was given injections to thin my blood, more IV fluids, more anti-emetics but I would take this any day over the sickness.

Later on the next day I was allowed home after 13 bags of IV fluids, more blood tests and an ultrasound scan. I had the scan alone because of the circumstances and I was a bit disappointed Steve couldn't be there. Baby was fine, a little small but fine.

1 comment:

  1. I always felt the best when I was in the hospital! I knew I was somewhere that could offer me some hope. If I ever had to do this again (which is definitely not in our plans) I would check myself into the hospital for at least the first trimester!

    ReplyDelete