Week 25

A bit about Hyperemesis....


Hyperemesis is a very rare condition and is suffered by only 0.3 - 2% of pregnant woman. I am one of 5% of these woman who suffer it past week 20.

From what I have researched, experts only describe hyperemesis as "excessive vomiting in pregnancy". There is very little information on the condition and what is available is mostly written by sufferers.


Symptoms I have suffered include.....

- Vomiting, food/drink, bile or blood (dried and fresh)
- Sensitive gag reflex
- Constipation
- Difficulty sleeping
- Dizziness (very low blood pressure)
- Ketosis
- Thirst (but unable to drink)
- Very dry skin
- Tachycardia
- Headache
- Confusion
- Extreme fatigue
- Very quick weight loss
- Unable to stand any movement i.e. walking, travelling
- Lonliness, being very down


The cause of hyperemesis is unknown. It is thought that you are at increased risk if you have a baby at a young age, if it is your first baby, if family (mothers, sisters) have suffered it, a twin pregnancy, Vitamin B deficiancy....

I am classed as a young mother, this is my first baby and my mum and grandma both experienced extreme morning sickness. My grandma was bed bound with all three pregnancies and my mum had severe and extended all day sickness.



Emotional support....

An important part of hyperemesis, which is ALWAYS bypassed, is the emotional side. There is very very little information or support on this. After doing a bit of research I am finding everything says that your partner should be providing emotional support. What about them? For example, Steve struggles enough himself without providing emotional support to me too. Also, I am unable to work so he has too and he does, a lot. So what do you do then? There is no support elsewhere, why?

I feel like nobody actually understands the condition so your met with people thinking your playing the system for time off work or your throwing up for some attention. It leaves you feeling very isolated.




Things people have said to me include....


- "just stop thinking about it and get some fresh air"

- "think about your baby, you have to eat and drink"

- "don't you know that medication can harm your baby?"

- "don't think negatively or it'll never go away"

- "get yourself out and about it'll help"

- "eat ginger biscuits", "drink ginger beer", "eat crackers", "drink milk", "suck sweets"

- "you need to make sure your eating the right foods for that baby"

So, I know people are trying to help but fresh air, ginger or sucking mints IS NOT GOING TO HELP. Getting fresh air and "out and about" is impossible at times, would you walk about the street throwing up? Eating at all, never mind healthy food, is a huge deal. Neither me or the baby would still be living if I refused any medication. And lastly, I WISH that thinking positive thoughts would stop hyperemesis but unfortunetly it doesn't help AT ALL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment